Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

First Thunderstorm of the Season Rate Topic: -----

#1 User offline   akajw Icon

• Group: Advanced Members
  • LocationBrockville, ON

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:39 PM

We had our first thunderstorm of the season yesterday. I even noticed that there were some severe thunderstorm warnings in Southern Ontario...seems so early!

Sheila

#2 User offline   BeefJerky Icon

• Posting Freak
  • LocationSt. John's, NL

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

Very cool! I love thunderstorms. Always did.
Too bad there hasn't been a really strong thunderstorm here in probably 10 years.
Kelly
St. John's, NL

Conditions from Cowan Heights, located in the western part of the city.

#3 User offline   EWRadar Icon

• Community Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

Southwestern Ontario and Niagara got just pasted yesterday and the day before. A steady stream of large and small cells out of Michigan, Illinois and Indiana out of that cold front. Eastern Ontario missed the brunt of it.

Some radar scans below of Apr 6th and 7th - this sort of stuiff went on for nearly a full 36 hour period. As much as 65-80mm of rain got dumped in the triangle between London, Sarnia and Chatham.

On Tues, after a night of small, but fairly intense popup cells over the north shore of lake Erie, this MCS grew up on the lee shore of Lake Michigan and emigrated to Canada about 12:45 Tues afternoon. crossing the Wallaceburg area about 1 pm. The southermost cell flirted with being a full grown supercell all the way across its trip. Although it tripped off ETVS and TVS signatures, I don't know if anything came to ground. Most of the signatures were elevated. Grand Rapids never issued tornado warniings for it, but
Indianapolis did.

Attached File  201004061210CR.jpg (153.61K)
Number of downloads: 2
Composite reflectivity scan

On Wednesday, Welland got pounded with this cell at about 1:42pm:
'Attached File  201004071342CR.jpg (167.95K)
Number of downloads: 2

The base velocity profile for this storm (at 1:47pm) looked like this:
Attached File  201004071347BV.jpg (144.44K)
Number of downloads: 4

In 3-D, cell looked like this from the east (ie from Buffalo) ( looking at the 45-55dBZ return profile). The inflow jet stands out...
Attached File  kbuf_20100407_1342.jpg (151.17K)

And the same view with all echo return layers, transparent, (the purple hail core is embedded and doesn't show through the denser rain wrap) the weak echo region of the main updraft shows just above the inflow jet:
Attached File  kbuf_20100407_134201.jpg (160.04K)

All returns, transparent, viewed from the south (out over Lake Erie). The strong upper winds are clear and evidence of how fast-moving these storms were. I was surprised at how skinny this was! It was dropping rain at the rate of 10-15 mm/hr around this time:

Attached File  kbuf_20100407_134203.jpg (150.66K)
Number of downloads: 3 another view: Attached File  kbuf_20100407_134202.jpg (135.77K)
Number of downloads: 3

And finally, 10 minutes later, it appears to stretch out even more. The clipping of the radar at KBUF is evident in the flattopping. I'm not sure, since the cell is very close to the radar site, how much of the slope is an anomaly of the rotational scan time and how much is actual wind profile:
Attached File  kbuf_20100407_135205.jpg (146.07K)
Number of downloads: 3

#4 User offline   akajw Icon

• LocationBrockville, ON

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:09 PM

We had our first thunderstorm of the season yesterday. I even noticed that there were some severe thunderstorm warnings in Southern Ontario...seems so early!

I see that I wrote this last April on the 7th, I could say the exact same thing again this year except for being on April 10-11th.

Sheila

#5 User offline   akajw Icon

• LocationBrockville, ON

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

I've noticed that there is the possibility of thunderstorms in our forecast for tomorrow and I am so excited. Hope I don't regret saying that. This is about a month sooner than last year and the year before.

Sheila

#6 User offline   Cold1 Icon

• Community Administrator
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationNear Woodstock, NB

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

Yes, a bit early but not rare either... I read that a few rumbles were heard in southern N.S. today.

I've noticed that there is the possibility of thunderstorms in our forecast for tomorrow and I am so excited. Hope I don't regret saying that.

That sounds familiar - last spring, I was bemoaning the fact that summer 2010 had been such a poor thunderstorm season and hoping for more thunderstorms than we saw the previous summer... then came summer 2011, the most active thunderstorm season in the 30+ years I've been recording the weather. We lost trees, electronics etc. to the seemingly constant barrage of strong/severe storms. By September, I was ready to run up the white flag. I guess it shows that we should be careful what we wish for...... :rolleyes:

Here's hoping for an active but not destructive 2012 thunderstorm season for those of us who enjoy storms. :)

#7 User offline   akajw Icon

• LocationBrockville, ON

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

We had a few rumbles in the distance which was fine with me; meanwhile at one point last night, Windsor was in a tornado watch and much of Ontario were in a severe thunderstorm watch. Also saw on TV, that parts of Southern Ontario got quite a bit of hail yesterday morning.

Sheila

#8 User offline   Relliott Icon

• Community Administrator
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationWest Brooklyn MTN , Nova Scotia

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

I agree Keith, active but not destructive for a thunderstorm season. I heard about all the warnings and watches in Ontario yesterday, there was some pretty active weather happening. We just got snow! <_<

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Icon1 User(s) are reading this topic (0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users)