• You cannot reply to this topic

Wednesday Night Thunder Storms Rate Topic: -----

#1 User offline   dmi Icon

• Community Moderator
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:01 AM

Just took a look at the radar and see some thunderstorms formimg over the Valley area. One looks to be heading close to or just south of Ron. I don't know if my cat can sense what is about to happen but she wont stop meowing.. Just in case Ron, you may want to take precautions :lol: .

By the looks of it, it should pass over the cottage.
Darren, Royale Hemlocks, Halifax, NS

http://halifaxweather.blogspot.com/

#2 User offline   akajw Icon

• Group: Advanced Members
  • LocationBrockville, ON

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:24 AM

Hope everyone is safe. We didn't get any thunderstorms yesterday (Eastern Ontario) but there were very high winds (up to 80 km/h) At one point 31,000 people in Ontario were without power. There were 5 outages in our "city" alone, but luckily we didn't lose power, however the lights flickered all afternoon. With the leaves on the trees, they were REALLY swaying back and forth.

Sheila

#3 User offline   cumulusgranite Icon

• Community Moderator
  • Icon
  • LocationSackville, NS

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

We certainly had a light show here last night when the cold front moved through to say the least.

A lot of activity also seem to be to the west of here which would have put it in Ron's area.
I imagine it may have woke him.... :lol:

Several power bumps and failures.

LOL, the dog was running around like she was on Amphetamines.

Looks like this was the same system that spun off tornadoes in Maine.

Two instance of 'really heavy' rain (thankfully) short lived.

To top it all off........I had left my car driver side widow open........did not realize it until this morning.......I need not say anymore.

This is Ron W...→ :blink:
In all science, error precedes the truth, and it is better it should go first than last. ~Hugh Walpole

#4 User offline   dfog Icon

• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:01 PM

It was the most spectacular TS I've seen here in years !
It started here with distant flashes & low rumbles to the Northwest (inland) around 23:00 last night, and didn't let up until 4:30 this morning.
It peaked between 2-3:30 flashing 360˚ all around & overhead, with a big one at about 3:00 which caused a power bump which only took a few clocks out.
Hope no one had any damage !
~ dfog
25km south of Halifax, 10 m asl

#5 User offline   Relliott Icon

• Community Administrator
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationWest Brooklyn MTN , Nova Scotia

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

Yes it was an interesting night, a couple of pretty good "house shakers" and a couple "shotgun" rumbles, or crashes. I haven't heard this stuff in a few years now. The power bumped off for a short time around 11:30 pm or so, I didn't bother turning anything back on at that point.

Perhaps this year will herald the return of the the "Thunder Storm" :D The atmosphere was pretty ripe last night.

The only damage here was my wife's nerves, and perhaps the cat's nerves :D

#6 User offline   dmi Icon

• Community Moderator
  • Icon
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

Woke up shortly after midnight and stayed awake most of the night. Which wasn't bad except had to be up at 5 to get a few hours of work in pricing up jobs before having to head out of town to work for the day. Enough whining..... it was great the best I have seen for a long long time, every since we spent our summers down the south shore as a kid.

It was one continious rumble and flashes for several hours. I too hope we have a more active season.
Darren, Royale Hemlocks, Halifax, NS

http://halifaxweather.blogspot.com/

#7 User offline   Relliott Icon

• Community Administrator
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationWest Brooklyn MTN , Nova Scotia

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:13 AM

View Postdmi, on 02 June 2011 - 05:42 PM, said:

Woke up shortly after midnight and stayed awake most of the night. Which wasn't bad except had to be up at 5 to get a few hours of work in pricing up jobs before having to head out of town to work for the day. Enough whining..... it was great the best I have seen for a long long time, every since we spent our summers down the south shore as a kid.

It was one continious rumble and flashes for several hours. I too hope we have a more active season.

Yes I agree also. I was starting to miss having a thunderstorm pass by once and awhile. As destructive and as dangerous as they can be, it is still fun, and exciting, to watch them.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Icon1 User(s) are reading this topic (0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users)